updated 2/1/17: Saturday Hill Repeats for those not running Kaiser Half Marathon. Let me know if you plan to join in on the workout or come for the kettlebell training if on “injured reserve.” Some key races that can help determine your track and tempo pace are at end of blog under LOOKING AHEAD section below.
You can check the posting on 1/16/17 for the article on some Winter training, if you missed it.
1/31/17 TUESDAY 9 am start TEMPO. Meet at “log cabin” and do regular warm-up to north end of path. Workout will be 3 x 1mile @ half marathon race pace followed by a half mile easy between each mile. Good pacing practice for the race on Superbowl Sunday. ( I have to take Sandy to ferry about this time, so will miss)
2/1/17 WEDNESDAY 8:15 am MADISON AV GYM workout with Kees at Warren’s. The group has now worked up to a solid 100 Swings for the warm-up part of the workout after a year’s training! now we go heavier for a greater percentage of the Swings.
2/2/17 THURSDAY 7:30 & 8:45 am starts for TRACK at COM. Shorter intervals this week plus a “predicted Mile” and prep for Kaiser Half on Sunday. After the usual 1.5-2 mile warm-up, 4 x 50 (50) quick cadence; 2 x 100 (100);
A/B groups: 6 x 200 (200) @ mile pace-but controlled: no digging deep!, 1 x 800 (5:30) @ 5K pace; then 4 x 300 (100), 1 x 800-finish.
The goal is to imprint the neural motor pattern for a faster cadence you’ll develop from running 200′ & 300’s. Running the 800’s at 5K pace should be feel mechanically easier after the warm-up shorter intervals, i.e., at “relaxed speed.” ……The workout is followed by a “predicted mile” at half marathon pace – without using your watch. Do this exercise even if you are not running this weekend’s race: it’s a practical challenge and tests your ability for perceived exertion; which I believe is more important than depending on the watches. One should be able to feel Tempo pace, track interval pace and long run pace.
1/4/17 SATURDAY 7:30 start for HILL REPEATS / Cross Training. Held at Theological Seminary College off Seminary Drive. We may have some light rain, but we should be okay for the session: it’s over within a half hour or so. Come a about 7:10 am, park near entry road to college, and get in a warm-up run along Seminary Drive out/back along the Bay. Then come jog up entry road to first level where I’ll have equipment set up.
So far coming to workout: Michelle W, Pam J, Hans S,
- MANMAKERS x 8: 2 x Short – Long – 2 x Sprint
- DB THRUSTERS x 10: Short-Sprint-short, Sprint- 1/2B
- R/L SIDE PLANK ROLLS x 10: Sprint-1/2A-2 Short-Sprint
- MED BALL or DUAL HANDLE BALL JACKS x15: 2 x Short- 2 x Sprint- 1/2 B
2/5/17 SUNDAY is KAISER HALF MARATHON in GGate Park.
- NorCal Memorial John Frank 10 Miler (3/4/17) in Stockton. Also a team scoring and age group scoring race. Now you can also help score for Tamalpa. This distance gives you your Tempo pace for future workouts.
- Reach For a Star 5K (3/12/17), Brisbane. Also for a scoring race and gives you a baseline 5K time to be used for future speed work on the track.
- Credit Union SACTOWN 10M, Sacramento…This one also is a scoring event and gives you your Tempo pace.
- 4/23/17 Stow Lake Stampede 5K, San Francisco…Another 5K race to determine your track for future workouts.