Updated on 7/1/17: CHANGE FOR THURSDAYS & TUESDAYs for July and August.
We are not able to return to COM track for our 7:30 and 8:30 workouts until September; meanwhile members of the workout group are carrying on with the track sessions on their own using the workouts I post each week on a track close to where they live. That’s the Tam HS and Terra Linda HS tracks ( Frank uses TL for his Tuesday night sessions, so feel free to join in there as another site option)
A number of the group are on vacation or find traffic a bit of a bother to deal with (though there’s no school traffic!) and are skipping the workouts. I will not be at the Thursday or Tuesday workouts during July and August while the turnout is low; I will be in and out of town, and getting some projects done and time for Sandy. I will post the workouts for each week because group members would like to keep the ball rolling when in town.
2) I will have the SATURDAY HILL REPEATS twice per month -or more if we have six or more participants. This dynamic workout of hill repeats and strength workout completed within 35 minutes or less helps kick in your running program. So when I post a HR workout I’ll have you respond if attending the session so you will all know if it’s on for a particular Saturday or not.
3) We will also get Sunday RRGRADE RUNS at least once per month: uphill tempo on our beautiful Mt. Tam is a solid and productive workout. WEDNESDAY, MADISON AVENUE GYM workouts will continue at Warren’s. Part of my “total fitness” approach is to help support your endurance sport, and also build a strength foundation, learn key lifts, build lean body mass that declines rapidly with the aging, and help avoid setbacks.
I’m taking half hour or less sessions twice per week is all that’s needed: don’t want to take away from energy for your endurance training. Make the summer goal 3-4 days per week running and two brief cross and weight training sessions. Put it on a timer. The Wednesday group now gets in a total of 100 Swings in sets of 20 alternated with key exercises: done within short order – and then do a Circuit.
4)Learn the Loaded Carries (for hips, legs, entire posterior side, shoulder stability, core), Goblet Squat, Kettlebell Swings, Deadlift, and Turkish Get-Up ( entire core, legs, shoulders, upper/lower body connection and right/left side brain work). A good summer project and I can you started on another day at Warren’s if you’d like and then put some sample workouts on 3 x 5 cards that you can rotate when working out at home.
5) Just back from our Family Multi-Sport Vacation with Backroads to Zion and Bryce National Parks: very worthwhile adventure! Sandy and I learned that participating in this vacation format had a remarkable impact on the adults and the youth: with growth, meeting challenges and interaction. There were about 24 of us with a dozen youth making up part of the group.
Socializing and friendships developed quickly among the adults; the youths became a close-knit group within a couple of days, I think due to the camping format in lieu of cabin, or lodge stays. After the evening meal ( which were all good) hanging around the campground lent itself to socializing that would not take place if families returned to their rooms. The staff was remarkable, worked very hard and were very much engaged – and talented. More to come on our Backroads trip.
6/26/17 TUESDAY . On your own with your local running partners. Get in steady 5-8 steady miles, preferably on dirt terrain.
6/27/17 WEDNESDAY. 8:15 am MADISON AV GYM WORKOUT with Kees at Warren’s. Our “100 Swings ” warm-up with key exercises, followed by a Circuit and concluded with Deadlifts.
6/28/17 THURSDAY 7:30 & 8:30 am starts. TRACK workout at Terra Linda HS with another group at Tam HS track in Mill Valley. This week’s emphasis a bit more on the longer intervals as the weather won’t be hot. Accurate pacing for each length interval is the focus of today’s workout. After your warm-up run and 8 x 40 meter pickups:
A/B gps: Two Rounds of: 200 (200)@ mile pace; 400 (2 1/2′) @ faster than 5K GP; 600 (200) @ 5K pace; 1000 (200) @ 5K pace.
7/1/17 SATURDAY 7:30 am start for HILL REPEATS/Cross Training held at the Theological Seminary College off Seminary Drive. Arrive a bit after 7 am, park along Seminary Drive near the entry road that goes up to the College. Do your warm-up out/back along Seminary Drive and the Bay or loop run. Then run up the entry road to first level where I will have the workout set up. Should take 35 minutes, followed by “loaded carries” and tire pulls.
NOTE: If you are new to the HR workout, do fewer HR and execute your exercises with good form, though I have the workout timed.
- DBL DB/KB Clean & Press x 10:
Short – 1/2 “A” – 2 x Sprint – Short
2. DUAL H BALL or DB ” AB CRUNCHES x 15 and RUSSIAN TWISTS x 8
Sprint – Long – Sprint – 2 x Short
3. DBL MTN CLIMBERS x 20 and DBL R/L PLANK ROW x 6
2 x Sprint – 2 x Short – 1/2 “B”
4. MED BALL JACKS or DUAL H BALL JACKS x 12
Sprint – Long – Sprint – 1/2 “B” – Sprint
TIPS: Run the Sprints with quick cadence and power – it’s a short distance. You can then concentrate on strong push-off and power well short of fatigue.
Short is holding on to mile pace effort.
1/2 “A” & “B” distances is pushing at 5K race pace: a strong controlled pace.
Long has the focus on endurance uphill running.